Discover 5 tips for how to be a successful life insurance agent and flourish in this industry.
If you’ve ever wondered how to be a successful life insurance agent, you’re not alone. Recent industry statistics reveal there are over 104,985 life insurance agents in the U.S. However, there’s more to being a life insurance agent than finding an agency and changing your LinkedIn profile.
The competition, rejection, and stress for life insurance salespeople can be quite daunting. Getting to the top requires a lot of hard work, training, and determination. Budding and even experienced insurance agents are always looking for ways to improve.
In some ways, the practical and simple tips here may not be groundbreaking. They are, however, critical to your success. Furthermore, because they are simple, they’re often overlooked, making them more powerful than most salespeople realize.
Find out how to be a successful life insurance agent and reach elite status
1. Have the right attitude
Offering insurance is nothing like selling clothes, gadgets, or toys. You can sell physical products online with minimal human interaction, but selling insurance requires the qualities of a great salesperson.
In this industry, the agent plays a crucial role in closing deals. Given comparable prices, coverage, and renewability, insurees will choose salespeople they trust. Here are a few top traits prospects look for:
- Empathy: A big part of being a salesperson is letting your potential customers feel understood. Doing so puts them at ease, allowing them to be more open to what you offer.
- Enthusiasm: Being passionate about what you do is contagious. Your clients will often return your energy and engage you in conversation.
- Reliability: When you meet a client, show up on time, prepared, and willing to answer questions. People won’t hesitate to work with the company you represent once you prove your trustworthiness.
2. Keep your skills and knowledge current
The insurance industry is ever-changing, and you need to adapt to thrive. Below are some trends you can expect:
- Personalized products: Gone are the days of all-in-one policies. For many consumers, purchasing custom products makes more sense than one-size-fits-all solutions with provisions they don’t need.
- Artificial intelligence (AI): As with other industries, technologies have improved the underwriting, claims, and costing processes. Take the time to master such applications to avoid service bottlenecks.
- Hybrid work environment: The COVID-19 pandemic gave rise to flexible work locations. Learn how to connect with various mobile teams to provide clients with outstanding customer service.
With such changes, find the time for continuous skills and product training sessions. Staying with the latest trends and industry developments will help you address the needs of the modern consumer.
3. Offer top-notch customer service
The latest customer service figures show that 33% of consumers won’t hesitate to switch brands after just one instance of poor customer service. Also, each of these policyholders will tell 15 people about their bad experiences.
Exceptional customer service doesn’t mean being error-free. Excellent service means being there for your clients every step of the way — a process that includes correcting agent mistakes if necessary.
In most cases, agents only speak to policyholders when closing a sale, filing a claim, or renewing an almost-lapsed policy. Sure, you should reach out during these times, but take it a step further by checking in on your clients once in a while.
Holiday emails, birthday greetings, and quarterly calls can do wonders for your relationship with your clients. These small gestures encourage loyalty, and loyal customers spend more on your products, leave good reviews, and tell other people about your brand.
4. Network with other agents
Connecting with other agents enables you to learn more about the industry, upgrade your expertise, and address similar challenges. Try professional networking groups and conferences such as the National Association of Professional Insurance Agents. You can also check out groups in your community and groups online.
There’s nothing like a group of like-minded entrepreneurs to help you achieve your goals. Finding the right circle can open a world of possibilities for you.
5. Elevate your lead generation tactics
Learning how to be a successful life insurance agent involves filling your funnel. You can ask for referrals, make cold calls, or set up text blasts to never run out of prospects. However, there’s also a way to spend less time generating leads and more time nurturing and converting them.
At HBW Leads, we offer exclusive double-verified quality leads to grow your business. With our team on your side, you won’t ever have to worry about sharing a potential client with other agents.
Request a free, no-obligation quote now for a personalized lead package. It might be the game-changer you need to take your revenues to the next level.